Charity and Almsgiving
Alpha and Omega
There is no sin, which alms cannot cleanse; it is a medicine adapted to every wound. . . . Let us hold fast to Mercy: she is the teacher of that higher Wisdom. . . . Let us learn to feel for the ills our neighbors suffer, and we shall learn to endure the ills they inflict.
St John Chrysostom, Homilies 14 and 25 on the Acts of the Apostles)
If you ever wish to associate with someone, make sure that you do not give your attention to those who enjoy health and wealth and fame as the world sees it, but take care of those in affliction, in critical circumstances, who are utterly deserted and enjoy no consolation. Put a high value on associating with these, for from them you shall receive much profit, and you will do all for the glory of God. God Himself has said: 'I am the father of orphans and the protector of widows' [Ps. 67:6 LXX].
St. John Chrysostom, Baptismal Instructions, 6.12
At All Saints parish, we annually and regularly support a number of charities to give our members and visitors a corporate opportunity for charity and almsgiving. Some of these opportunities are listed below. If you wish to become more involved in this ministry, please contact Father Patrick for more information.
- Christmas Foster Children - Gifts for children in the Illinois DCFS system
- Disaster and Relief - Various
- Food for Hungry People - The Antiochian Fellowship of St. John the Divine sponsors the annual Food for Hungry People during Great Lent to help feed the hungry people throughout the world.
- Pastoral Discretionary Fund - This account, to which members of the parish donate as the Holy Spirit leads them, is controlled by the Pastor and used to feed, clothe, and support the numerous poor who seek help from the congregation.
- Patriarch Fund - Various needs of the Patriarch
- St. Pius School - St Pius is a school for pre-school, kindegarten and grades 1 - 8. All Saints conducts a summer drive to help this school through donations of school supplies such as paper, pens and pencils, and art supplies.
- World Food Day Canned Food Drive - During Advent, All Saints participates in a canned food drive which is then distributed to a local food pantry.